Protecting Kangaroo Island 20 x 16
Click Image to Enlarge
This lighthouse stands on one of the most southern points on Australia; it is known as the Cape du Couedic Lighthouse. It is one of two lighthouses on the small island off the south coast with ferry service to Adelaide. It was finished in 1909 and contains over 2,000 pieces of locally cut stone as the building material. At the time of construction and for many years after, the only access was by boat, there are three cottages for the lighthouse keeper and two assistants’ with their families who lived here and were responsible for the upkeep and operations of the vital beacon.